Prokaryotic Translation Quiz
1. Redundancy in the genetic code is best illustrated by (you can refer to a codon table):
2. In vitro (in a test tube) translation of a synthetic RNA with the repeating sequence (AGA)20 would produce which of the following?
POLYPEPTIDES CONTAINING ARGININE, POLYPEPTIDES CONTAINING GLUTAMIC ACID, AND POLYPEPTIDES CONTAINING LYSINE
3. The DNA sense strand (= coding strand) for a particular amino acid is 5’-ATG-3’. What RNA sequence would be transcribed for this codon, what tRNA anticodon would recognize it, and what amino acid would be added in response to this codon?
5’-AUG-3’ (RNA SENSE), 3’-UAC-5’ (tRNA ANTICODON), METHIONINE
4. The aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase enzyme are responsible for:
ADDING AMINO ACIDS TO APPROPRIATE tRNAS (CHARGING THE tRNA)
5. The anticodon on the tRNA molecule:
BINDS TO THE mRNA IN A COMPLEMENTARY FASHION
6. The A site, P site, and E sites each control ______ (in order) during translation.
BINDING INCOMING tRNAs (A), RETENTION OF THE PEPTIDE CHAIN DURING ELONGATION (P), EXIT OF DEACYLATED tRNAs (E)
7. In bacteria, the Shine-Dalgarno sequence is found on the mRNA and is recognized by the ____ to reveal ____.
THE 30S SUBUNIT; THE TRANSLATION START CODON
8. During the initiation of prokaryotic translation, a defect in IF3 function would result in:
PREMATURE ASSOCIATION OF THE 30S AND 50S SUBUNITS