Prokaryotic Transcription and Gene Regulation Quiz
1. Which of the following statements about a gene is NOT true?
ALL GENES ENCODE PROTEINS
2. If the DNA template 3’-ATGCATGC-5’ were transcribed to RNA, the RNA would read:
5’ UACGUACG 3’
3. Which of the following is true of transcription but not replication?
IT REQUIRES PROMOTERS TO INITIATE THE PROCESS
4. In a chromosome, which of the following is true?
RNAs OF DIFFERENT GENES CAN BE TRANSCRIBED OFF EITHER DNA STRAND, BUT ALWAYS 5’ TO 3’
5. Where is a promoter located in a gene?
IN THE 5’ FLANKING SEQUENCE
6. The RNA polymerase sigma factor protein’s role in transcription in E. coli includes which of the following?
HELPS THE HOLOENZYME TO BIND TO THE PROMOTER
7. E. coli bacteria are placed into a medium containing both glucose and lactose. Which of the gene products (i.e., enzymes) listed below do you predict will be “turned on”?
NONE OF THE ABOVE (NOT BETA GALACTOSIDASE, NOR LACL, NOR LACP, NOR PERMEASE)
8. The lac operon is controlled by
THE LAC REPRESSOR AND THE CATABOLITE ACTIVATOR PROTEIN (CAP)
9. The lac repressor protein controls expression of the lac operon by
BINDING TO THE LAC OPERATOR SITE TO REPRESS TRANSCRIPTION
10. A partial diploid of genotype I– P+ O+ Z+ / I+ P+O+ Z will show
INDUCIBLE PRODUCTION OF BETA-GALACTOSIDASE
11. Which of the following is an example of a CIS-ACTING ELEMENT?
12. Why does E. coli have several different factors?
EACH ALLOWS RNA POLYMERASE TO RECOGNIZE AND BIND TO A DIFFERENT SUBSET OF PROMOTERS