1. Which of the following describes the histones associated with the nucleosomes of active genes?
RICH IN ACETYLY GROUPS (I.E., HYPERACETYLATED)
2. The enzyme responsible for removing acetyl groups from histone proteins is called
HISTONE DEACETYLASE (HDAC)
3. Epigenetic inheritance is defined as
THE INHERITANCE OF CHROMATIN STATES FROM ONE CELL GENERATION TO THE NEXT
4. Regions of a chromosome that are bundled in highly condensed chromatin are known as
5. The regions of chromosomes that form heterochromatin
CONTAIN FEW GENES
6. Which of the following statements is true of the variegated eye-color phenotype in Figure 12-23?
THE WHITE GENE IS INACTIVE IN THE WHITE SECTORS AND ACTIVE IN THE RED SECTORS AND THE WHITE GENE IS INACTIVE IN THE WHITE SECTORS DUE TO THE SPREAD OF HETEROCHROMATIN
7. A geneticist is able to insert a barrier insulator (Figure 12-26) between the white gene and the heterochromatin. The eye phenotype of the transgenic Drosophila would most likely be
ALL RED BECAUSE THE BARRIER ELEMENT WILL PREVENT THE SPREAD OF HETEROCHROMATIN
8. The phenomenon in D. melanogaster known as Position-Effect Variegation (PEV) provides powerful evidence that:
CHROMATIN STRUCTURE IS ABLE TO REGULATE GENE EXPRESSION