1. Name three benefits or practical uses of fungi
Fungi are decomposers that return vital nutrients to soil.
helps in making penicillin
used in fermentation
2. Give an animal that benefits from digestive abilities of fungi
ants and termites
3. Lichens consist of green algae and cyanobacteria within the fungal network
4. Types of nonvascular plants (bryophytes) include the mosses, hornworts, and liverworts.
5. The water conducting tissue of vascular plants is xylem or vascular tissue
6. The seedless vascular plants with flagellated sperm are ferns.
7. The function of the seed-to reproduce by transferring the next “plant” or embryo
8. Seeds of angiosperms develop within protected ovaries.
9. Gymnosperms are represented by conifer trees and produce seeds in their cones.
10. Haploid gametophytes produce eggs and sperm through mitosis.
11. Spores grow in gametophytes.
12. A mat of moss is mostly a gametophyte which produces eggs and swimming sperm.
13. A pine tree is a sporophyte that has tiny gametophytes that grow its cones and sperm from a pollen grain fertilizes the egg
14. Mycorrhizae are mutually beneficial associations of plant roots and fungi.
15. Functions of leaves-carry out photosynthesis
16. What are the reproductive structures of flowers?- gametes and spores
17. Cuticle-covers leaves and stems to reduced water loss.
18. Stomata-in leaves allow gas exchange between plant and atmosphere
19. Lignin-hardens cell walls of some plant tissues
20. Stem-supports plant; may perform photosynthesis
21. Vascular tissue-found in shoots and roots and transport water, minerals, and sugars; provide support
22. Roots-anchor plant; mycorrhizae (root fungus associations) help absorb water and minerals from the soil
23. Fungi are heterotrophic eukaryotes that digest food externally and absorb the nutrients, they consists of thread like hyphae that are called mycelium.
FOUR DIFFERENT TYPES OF PLANTS
1. Nonvascular plants (mosses, liverworts, hornworts)
2. Ferns (seedless, usually with fronds)
3. Gymnosperms (vascular tissue with seeds in cones)
4. Angiosperms (flowering plants and male gametophyte is a mature pollen grain and female gametophyte is the embryo sac, located in the ovule)