Question: A state in which a person is overly excited, restless, and energetic is known as:
- manic episode
- a panic disorder
- dissociative fugue
1. The correct answer is (b) manic episode.
2. The reason answer choice (b) is correct is because the definition of manic episode fits the definition provided by the question.
3. (A) Depression is not correct since one would not be excited during depression. (C) Panic disorder is incorrect because the question does not state anything to do with frequent panic attacks. (D) Depersonalization is incorrect since that would have to include some phrase that talked about detachment from oneself. (E) Dissociative fugue is not correct because the question does not mention amnesia.
Question: Audrey worries all of the time. It seems like her worry never goes away. She worries about her job, her apartment, and her family. Her neck and shoulders are always tense and sore, she has trouble sleeping through the night, and she has difficulty concentrating on her job. Audrey’s symptoms are characteristic of (choose one):
- generalized anxiety disorder
- major depression
- bipolar disorder
1. The correct answer is generalized anxiety disorder.
2. Generalized anxiety disorder is the correct answer because the question states that Audrey is always worrying and is experiencing physical symptoms of stress as well, such as neck and shoulder pains. These are symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder.
3. OCD is incorrect because Audrey is not obsessing over one particular thing and is not doing one task in a ritualistic manner. Agoraphobia is incorrect because Audrey is not scared of being in a place where escape seems impossible. Major depression is not right because Audrey did not suddenly encounter a severe depression. Bipolar disorder is incorrect because Audrey is not experiencing manic episodes some days and then episodes of depression on other days.